Friday, November 06, 2015

Playing catch up - The Great Pumpkin Edition

Last year we had a family party at Vala's Pumpkin Patch for Marianne's birthday. It was such a great time that we decided to do it again this year! We decided to make it a joint celebration for Marianne, Peter and Rachel because their big days are so close together and I was not feeling up to hosting three parties. Also, the cost, while not outrageous, seemed more reasonable at a time when we're running a tight budget if we spread it across a few kids. Lots of reasons.

This time, I made a point of reserving a campfire site earlier in the season in order to get one with electricity. I thought our cold fried chicken picnic dinner worked out great last year, especially because it was unseasonably warm, but wanted to be able to use crock pots for hot food this time around. Also, instead of prepping carafes of coffee to bring, I was able to bring Nathaniel's Keurig and make coffee and cider on the spot. The downside of the electrical site was that it was more on the main path, so a lot of foot traffic passed by, but once it started to get dark, it wasn't a real issue. I did get a lot of compliments on my set up from the passersby while it was still light out, including several people requesting dinner invites for later in the evening.


The menu included Sherri's rolls, pulled pork, baked beans, pickles, veggies and an apple salsa with cinnamon chips. And, of course, cake.


Marianne began asking weeks ahead of time to be allowed to decorate cupcakes for the Vala's party. As it got closer, I realized cupcakes would be a huge hassle to transport, and involve a LOT of work, given the sorts of things she wanted to draw. I suggested this - two cake rounds, left separate so she could do two pictures, and with more detail than cupcakes since they're larger - instead. She was happy with that compromise. (The small cake was for Renee. It turned out the recipe I chose for pumpkin cake, Marianne's requested flavor, was dairy free, so I just had to save Renee a piece without frosting and she actually got to eat with us!)

I'm talking about dinner, though, which is getting ahead of things. There was loads more to our day. We got to the pumpkin patch around 1:00 and spent all afternoon with Phil and his boys, traipsing through haunted houses and abandoned mines, riding pedal cars and jumping on bounce pads. I only took a handful of photos, mostly on the bounce pads.



While Nathaniel, Phil and the older kids were pedaling more challenging carts, I took the younger five kids to bounce. We were there for a long time. I bounced some, I sat some, I cracked up watching Meg, Elliot and Peter roll down the pad and chase each other, and Oliver and Rachel just try to stay upright. Good times!





Shortly after this, I bowed out to get the campfire site set up (in particular, to get the crock pots plugged in so food would be hot when we were ready to eat). I rejoined the group an hour or so later, played some, then bowed out again. I'll admit, I kind of love knowing my kids are having a fabulous time without actually having to be submerged in all the crazy, all the time. I find a lovely balance in it.

Marianne kindly allowed me to copy some of her photos for your viewing pleasure, since I took so few of my own:




This photo of Peter was taken just after Nathaniel reclaimed him from security. Vala's offers the yellow wristbands you can see on him just inside the gate, so you can write your cell phone number on your child. We quizzed the kids on our phone numbers and any who didn't know them had to wear a wristband. Apparently Peter got distracted by a stage show and didn't realize the rest of the group had moved on (I was at the campfire site at the time, so had no part in this, thank you very much). Security found him, asked his parents' names, and called Nathaniel's cell. They told Nathaniel he was one of maybe 6 people who actually use the wristbands, but they were glad he had. Us, too! Security gave Peter the star badge to wear. He was pretty proud.


The "challenge course" is new this year, and the kids LOVED it (as did the adults - Andrew, Sherri and Renee joined us at this point, and both Andrew and Sherri tried out the course). Elliot ran circles, doing it over and over, and claims to have completed it 11 or 12 times before we moved on.

After the challenge course, I headed back for final dinner prep so didn't see the rest of the fun, but I understand there were more haunted houses, a giant slide and much, much more. Then there was good food, mostly eaten around the campfire despite ample table space.


There were also countless long treks to the bathroom, loads of hot apple cider from the Keurig, cake and gifts and more pedal cars and fun after. We shut the place down.

Huge success, overall. I hope we do it again next year!

1 comment:

Leah said...

Boy, I almost didn't recognize Rachel. And her hair is so long! Happy birthday, Rachel!