Monday, April 18, 2016

Everyone needs to do this

Photo credit: Ruth

Almost nine years ago, Renee grabbed me and a couple of other ladies after our weekly women's study and told us an idea she had for a couples' book club, reading whatever we wanted, then discussing it from a Catholic viewpoint. Also, it could be a dinner party! And because it's "couples" it would be a date night! I was all in.

We hosted last night and it was fabulous as always. I can't believe we've been meeting almost monthly for nearly a decade. The group changed a little, but we've been a firm group now for years. Even when I don't have the time (or energy) to read the book selection, I get almost giddy for our meetings because they are always filled with edifying conversation, delicious food and ample laughter. And I do make an effort to read all the book choices. They've been incredibly varied over the years! I've picked up books I'd never in a million years have thought to read on my own. Fiction, non-fiction, short stories and poetry!

I've heard a lot of conversation lately about the importance of mom-friends for stay at home moms, or the importance of friends in general, to make life richer! I am blessed beyond measure to have a small women's group that meets regularly, this book club, and one other book club that meets sporadically and reads mostly popular fiction. If you don't have a group or two like this in your life, I can't encourage you enough to CREATE ONE. I promise if you look around, at your close friends or at your larger circle of acquaintances, you'll see other women/couples who would love a book club or a bible study or just a "dinner party group" that meets regularly! My MIL is in one of those, and they've been getting together for multiple decades! Get crazy and start a new group. If the dinner party idea is the part freaking you out, make it a book club that meets at a local coffee shop. Make it whatever suits you best. Worst case, it tapers off at some point, and you had fun while it lasted. Best case, it becomes it a regular thing that lasts for years and every meeting makes you grateful you're a part of it.

If you need a reading list with a Catholic flair (but not all necessarily Catholic authors or subject matter), let me know. We've got a long one we're happy to share.

No comments: