Friday, November 01, 2013

A month of gratitude

I remember in college hearing Oprah talk about gratitude journals, and recording three things each night that we are grateful for from that day. I've started journals like this a handful of times, and it's always been a good experience.

I start my prayers every night giving thanks to God for the blessings in my life, and I think many nights I'm asleep before I get past that part of my prayers. I have that much to be thankful for!

I assume I'll start seeing facebook statuses of gratitude soon, as is common as we approach Thanksgiving, so I decided to spend a little time on my blog being grateful. Some days for one thing, maybe some days for more. I could go on and on each day, really, but you'd all likely get tired of reading it.

I hardly know where to start, so I'll start the same way I do as I lie in bed each night and chat with God.

Thank you for my family, for my husband and my children. Thank you for our home, for our health and for Nathaniel's job.

That covers some big topics, so they may recur in greater detail before the month is through, but you get the idea.

*****

I'm brainstorming (at the last minute, obviously) a way to get my kids in on the gratitude as well. Maybe something with pretty results, like a couple years ago when we strung up handwritten tags each day. If you're doing anything special with your family as we approach Thanksgiving, tell me what it is (or link to where you've already discussed it). I'd love new ideas asap! Thanks!

1 comment:

Smiler #1 said...

I don't have a plan yet, but one of my favorites that we have done is take one of our still-intact pumpkins & everyone makes a feather each day to add to it. We write one thing we are thankful for on the back & then decorate the front before we attach it. We tried glue & stick pins, but the best bet was bamboo skewers. It turned out so cute, was super-simple prep, & was quick enough to do each day.