Sunday, November 08, 2015

Playing catch up - This Is Halloween Edition

I shared a group shot from Halloween already, but here's a little photo dump of the kids in their costumes for your viewing pleasure:


Hermione from the Harry Potter series, with the frizziest hair we could manage.


A princess. No one princess in particular. Just a princess. With really great hair.


A couple shots of the hair just after I finished it. We winged this, but it turned out cool. I used most of her hair to make one thick braid that I wrapped from the bottom right, all the way around the top of her head and nearly back to where it started. I kept a section of the front out to wrap over and hide the end of the main braid, then gathered the front hair and the remaining hair from the back/bottom and made a second braid to hang down in front. Overall, it gave a decent effect of it being one very long braid, which was the goal.



A witch. But not a mean witch... Mostly she was in it for the striped tights and pointed hat.


Robin. Inexplicably, he's been asking to be Robin since last Halloween when he saw the costume in a catalog (but we already had last year's Superman costume at the time). He didn't forget, as I was sure he would. I tried to talk Ruth into being Batman/Batgirl so he'd have someone to sidekick for, but it turns out there aren't really good options for a tween-sized batgirl costume. Don't google that. Ugh.


How he posed most of the time. Dude is crazy.


Also a princess. Slightly more taciturn, but also with pretty great hair.


The hair.


The pair.


Ready to hit the candy trail with time to spare! Way to go, me! Turns out avoiding face paint saves all sorts of time.


How he "posed" most of the time. I wasn't kidding about the dude being crazy. He takes his super-heroing seriously. Note that the girls hardly notice he's left the line up.

*****

A week or so before Halloween, when the costumes were mostly put together, the kids wanted to try them on for Nathaniel. As he watched them parade through the dining room, he remarked, "Is this what we've come to now? Costumes straight out of the package?" Yes. Yes it is. (He was joking - I promise! Don't get grumpy with him.) I had a few quality years of home made costumes, or at least mostly home made costumes... I'd love to do that again. But when you can get them on Amazon or at Target or Cracker Barrel (my go to source for non-Disney-specific princess dresses) for $20 or less, it's hard to make a case for home made.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Love the blurred Peter at the end. Great job with the princess hair.

Anna & George said...

Ruth's hair!!!